Independent Assessment of the GCF’s Simplified Approval Process Pilot SchemeAs of the last Board meeting (B.24, November 2019), 12 SAP projects had been approved for an amount of USD 105 million in GCF contribution and USD 35 in co-financing. There is currently a pipeline of 80 proposals at different stages of the SAP process.
The purpose of the IEU assessment will be to inform and recommend actions for Board and Secretariat consideration in the development of the next phase of the SAP. The assessment will bring to the Board evidence and recommendations on how to simplify the processes to access the GCF. The IEU assessment will focus on the following areas (considering the relevant IEU evaluation criteria in each of the areas):
1. Critical assessment of the Secretariat review. The IEU assessment will look at the extent to which the findings are unbiased, evidence-based, relevant, and sufficient to inform the recommendations. Also, the IEU will explain how the Secretariat Review was used in the development of the draft document for further development of the SAP for Board discussion.
2. Implementation of the SAP pilot. The IEU assessment will evaluate if the projects approved follow SAP processes and eligibility criteria and satisfy the mandate of the GCF. This relates to the efficiency and effectiveness of the SAP pilot and how the scalability criterion was applied.
3. Value-added of SAP. The IEU assessment will explore the design and implementation of the SAP pilot and its intent to reduce the time and effort, such as processing time, of a certain type of GCF project. The assessment will consider if the SAP process is meeting its objectives and supporting scalable, transformational projects. The assessment will also consider if the SAP pilot improved the capacity of AEs (and DAEs in particular) to prepare FPs. Of interest are the SAP pilot’s relevance, country ownership, and innovativeness.
4. Benchmarking the SAP pilot with other similar processes. The assessment will compare the GCF’s SAP pilot with other similar fast track, simplified processes used by other comparable organizations. The lessons learned will be considered for incorporating into a future SAP.
5. Learning to improve the GCF project cycle. The assessment will determine if any lessons learned from the implementation of the SAP pilot could apply to other GCF projects.
The IEU assessment will build on the Secretariat review (while providing a critical assessment of this review) and provide recommendations for the Secretariat and the Board on how the SAP can be faster, smarter, and better.
- Background documents
- Evaluation Report
- Main Report English | Spanish | French
- Annexes to the Main Report English | Spanish | French
- Executive Summary
- Summaries of the Evaluation Report
- GEvalNote 04
- GEvalBrief 04