Independent Evaluation of the Relevance and Effectiveness of the Green Climate Fund's Investments in the SIDS (SIDS2020)
The small island developing states (SIDS) are an exceptionally heterogeneous group of countries. But they all have one thing in common: they are highly vulnerable to the effects of climate change. SIDS face numerous climate threats, including rising temperatures, changing precipitation patterns, flooding, drought, reduced availability of fresh water, coral reef decline and sea level rise. SIDS suffer inordinately more from climate change than they contribute to it through greenhouse gas emissions. They have been vocal about climate change’s impact on their development and called for prioritized international financial support for adaptation and mitigation activities. SIDS also lent their voice to establishing the GCF to support low-emission and climate-resilient development pathways in developing countries.
At its twenty-fourth meeting, the Board of the GCF asked the IEU to assess the relevance and effectiveness of the Green Climate Fund’s investments in small island developing states. This evaluation is part of a concerted effort by the IEU to examine the relevance and effectiveness of the GCF’s strategy and investments in countries most vulnerable to the effects of climate change.
- Evaluation report
- The evaluation was commissioned by the Board in IEU Work Plan and Budget for 2020 at B.24.
- The inception report prepared by the evaluation team during the inception stage describes the background, context, key evaluation questions, workplan, and timeline and limitation for the evaluation.
- The evaluation team further developed an approach brief to provide a pre-implementation summary of the Independent Evaluation of the GCF’s investments in small island states. It describes the evaluation’s context, purpose, objectives, scope, methods and country visits.
*Translated from the original English version of the document.
- Executive Summary
- 2-page GEvalNote 08: English | Español | Français | العربية *
- 4-page GEvalBrief 08: English | Español | Français | العربية *
- SIDS Factsheet
- SIDS evidence tree
- The GCF Secretariat Management response presents the response to the Independent Evaluation of the Relevance and Effectiveness of GCF Investments in Small Island Developing States undertaken by the Independent Evaluation Unit (IEU). This is a reissue of document GCF/B.28/19/Add.01, published on 15 March 2021, and does not incorporate recent developments.
- Following the GCF Evaluation Policy, Management Action Reports are submitted by the IEU to the GCF Board. They track the progress made in the adoption of recommendations made by IEU evaluations. The Management Action Report on the Independent Evaluation of the Relevance and Effectiveness of the Green Climate Fund's Investments in the SIDS was submitted to the Board as an annex to the report on the IEU's activities at B.34 (GCF/B.35/Inf.02).