Independent evaluation of the GCF's Country Ownership approach (COA2019)
An independent assessment of the Fund’s success in ensuring country ownership will be conducted. Country ownership is a core principle for the GCF. The IEU examines the extent to which country needs and country ownership have been incorporated in both the design and implementation of the Fund’s policies and practices.
The review includes country engagement, review of key documents, on-the-ground verifications and an assessment of what is working, how and for whom, while identifying key bottlenecks in ensuring access and commitment to this overall guiding principle of country ownership.
The assessment recognizes that country ownership is an evolving and ongoing process and will make recommendations for improvements.
- Evaluation report
- Theevaluation was commissioned by the Board in IEU Work Plan and Budget for 2019 at B.21.
- The inception report prepared by the evaluation team describes the approach, methods, and workplan for the evaluation.
- The evaluation team further developed an approach brief to provide a pre-implementation summary of the independent evaluation of the GCF’s Country Ownership approach. It describes the evaluation’s context, purpose, scope, output, timing, country visits and methods.
- Executive Summary
2-page GEvalNote 04: English | Español | Français | العربية *
4-page GEvalBrief 04: English | Español | Français | العربية *
*Translated from the original English version of the document.
- The GCF Management response presents the Secretariat management response to the Independent Evaluation of the Green Climate Fund’s Country Ownership Approach undertaken by the Independent Evaluation Unit (IEU).
- In Decision B.30/11, the GCF Board invited its members and alternate members to consider and provide comments on the findings and recommendations of five IEU evaluations and their corresponding Secretariat management responses. The list of evaluations included the Independent Evaluation of the GCF’s Country Ownership approach. The Board also requested the IEU to prepare a summary of these views. The IEU included this summary in its 2021 Annual Report.
- Following the GCF Evaluation Policy, Management Action Reports are submitted by the IEU to the GCF Board. They track the progress made in the adoption of recommendations made by IEU evaluations. The Management Action Report on the Independent Evaluation of the GCF's Country Ownership Approach was submitted to the Board as an annex to the report on the IEU's activities at B.34 (GCF/B.34/Inf.10).