The Global SDG Synthesis Coalition is an initiative spearheaded by the UNDP Independent Evaluation Office and Global Affairs Canada and comprises 37 United Nations entities, multiple bilateral and multilateral organizations, global evaluation bodies and networks, evidence synthesis collaborations, private sector, and foundations. This Coalition on evaluative evidence aims to generate syntheses organized around the five SDG pillars (people, planet, prosperity, peace, and partnership), and make policy recommendations for accelerating results in the final years of the SDGs and to inform the post-SDG development agenda. The IEU, represented by Andreas Reumann, Head, is co-chairing the Planet Pillar synthesis alongside UNEP-IEO, represented by Michael Spilsbury, Director.
As the Planet Pillar synthesis is at the inception stage, the IEU, together with UNEP-IEO, will ensure that the learnings from this meeting on progress made with the on-going Partnership Synthesis are integrated into the Planet Synthesis. The IEU also looks forward to collaborating with UNDP-IEO serving as the Secretariat to the SDG Synthesis Coalition as well as other UN entities, including those that are leading the People Pillar Synthesis (UNICEF, UN Women and UNESCO).
Coalition Activity Highlights:
- Tuesday 19 September 2023: Funders’ Breakfast for the ongoing Global SDG Synthesis work on the margins of the 2023 SDG Summit, with the IEU represented by Jennifer Pampolina, Communications and Uptake Associate, who spoke with other partners involved with the Coalition.
- Thursday 27 July 2023: All-Pillar Co-Chairs’ check-in meeting of the Global SDG Synthesis Coalition, in which Yeonji Kim, Knowledge Management and Uptake Specialist a.i. at the IEU, presented updates on the Planet Pillar. Presentations covered progress made and preliminary findings.
- Monday 24 July 2023: The first meeting of the Planet Pillar Management Group was held, with the IEU represented by Yeonji Kim, Knowledge Management and Uptake Specialist a.i.. Members discussed the Pillar’s scoping exercise, resource mobilization strategies, and lessons learned from the People, Peace and Partership Pillars Synthesis.
- Friday 23 June 2023: Inaugural meeting of the Steering Committee of the Global SDG Synthesis Coalition, which Yeonji Kim, Knowlegde Management and Uptake Specialist a.i. at the IEU, attended on behalf of the Planet Pillar Co-Chairs. Learn more here.
- Friday 2 June 2023: Co-Chairs of all five SDG pillars met to discuss key updates on the progress of each synthesis, including reviewing expressions of interest from countries and international organizations to join the Management Group of different pillars.
- Thursday 20 April 2023: Co-Chairs meeting of the Planet Pillar of the Global SDG Synthesis Coalition with the SDG Synthesis Coalition Secretariat (UNDP-IEO), during which the launch and schedule of the Planet Pillar Management Group (MG) was discussed. The Planet Pillar MG will look at lessons learned across five SDGs with a focus on Planet, namely: SDG 6, 12, 13, 14, and 15.
- On Thursday 23 March 2023: Global SDG Synthesis Coalition Briefing on the Partnerships, Planet and People Pillar Syntheses. During the meeting there were several presentations covering up-to-date view of progress on the Partnerships (SDG 17) pillar synthesis and preparations for the Planet and People Pillar syntheses. The IEU was represented by Andreas Reumann, Head of the Unit a.i., and Yeonji Kim, Knowledge Management and Uptake Specialist a.i. Learn more here.